Skip navigation

Clean Air

for Better Living


Serving South Florida Since 1987

HVAC Blog by Envirotech Air Quality Services
More Reviews More Reviews

Mold Remediation FAQ: Is Mold Always Unhealthy?

Mold in homes has been making headlines for quite a while, and there is reason to be concerned with any mold growth inside your home. At the very least, mold can be a huge agitation, especially to those who suffer from allergies. But in some cases, the mold can actually be toxic and cause more serious problems. The bottom line is that mold in a home is never a good thing, and if you have a lot of it, it’s time to consider mold remediation service in Lake Worth.

Why It Happens

Mold requires moisture and cool temperatures to grow. It doesn’t necessarily need it to be dark, but it does prefer shade. Mold can grow easily in a wide range of places and types of material, including:

  • All kinds of cloth products
  • Paper products
  • Fibrous tiles, such as ceiling tiles
  • Carpet
  • Wood products
  • Paint products
  • In dust
  • Drywall
  • Insulation
  • Ductwork

Mold is invasive; in order to stop it from growing, you have to remove the moldy item completely.

What Is “Black Mold”?

Black mold has become the common name for mold that is toxic, i.e., contains an element called mycotoxins. The first thing to know about mold that contains mycotoxins is that it isn’t always black, and as such, it can’t be identified by color alone. The only way to know if the mold in your home contains mycotoxins is to have it tested. You can certainly have the mold tested as part of your mold removal, but the bottom line is that any mold should be removed, not just the kind that has mycotoxins.

Mold Remediation

If the mold growth in your home covers more than 10 square feet, it is recommended by the EPA that you remediate the problem with a professional. Any mold remediation specialist should be trained in the removal of mold according to the standards set by the EPA in the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygenists (ACGIH) in addition to any local and regional standards. If the growth is less than 10 square feet, a professional may be able to clean it, but cleaning doesn’t always remove the proteins of the mold, which can lead to another infestation.

If you are seeing or smelling excessive mold growth in your home, call the experts at Envirotech Air Quality Services today. We’ve been helping customers since 1987, and we can help you determine where your mold problem is coming from and remediate it as needed.

Comments are closed.

We use the Best Products